UH Teacher Education Program
Welcome to UH Teacher Education:
The Teacher Education program is organized into four phases: Pre-Teaching, Developing-Teaching, Student Teaching 1, and Student Teaching 2.
Pre-Teaching (formerly QUEST 1)
Coursework and field experiences are specifically designed to give candidates experience interacting with children in public schools throughout the greater Houston area in order to confirm their decision to become a teacher and to prepare for the prospect of a career in education. Once required program benchmarks are satisfied, students may apply to change their majors to the degree-seeking major Teaching and Learning.
- *Coursework: 16 credit hours
- Field Experience: 1 day per week in schools
Developing-Teaching (formerly QUEST 1)
The Developing-Teaching phase includes coursework that builds on the basic professional skills and knowledge gained in Pre-Teaching and provides continued and focused interactions with children and teachers through required weekly field placements.
- *Coursework: 18 credit hours
- Field Experience: 2 days per week in schools
Student Teaching 1 (formerly QUEST 2) and 2 (formerly QUEST 3)
Student Teaching is a full-year, full-time placement integrated with accompanying coursework. Student Teaching 1 (formerly QUEST 2) and Student Teaching 2 (formerly QUEST 3), are content-focused, allowing candidates to learn the most current methodology for teaching all content areas for which they will be certified, as well as performance-focused, immersing candidates in the real work of teachers in school settings. Candidates are supported in the schools by quality Cooperating Teachers and trained University Supervisors, supplemented by scheduled on-campus and online professional development and faculty and peer interactions.
- *12-15 credit hours of coursework
- 5 days per week in schools on alternating weeks
* If you are seeking a Minor in Education for Secondary Education or are a transfer student your coursework hours may differ.
Admission to the Teacher Education Program
Students apply to the Teacher Education Program in the semester prior to the Pre-Teaching semester Applications require demonstration of:
- coursework completion;
- 2.50 overall GPA;
- 2.50 GPA in academic fields and/or specializations;
- passing scores on the Texas Higher Education Assessment (THEA). (College of Education passing scores on THEA are higher than the minimum passing scores required by the University of Houston.);
- proficiency in speech and written language.