The Department of Educational Psychology offers this degree program.
Is this Program for Me?
The Counseling Psychology doctoral program trains psychologists to become mental health professionals and psychological researchers. Our nationally recognized and competitive program offers challenging curriculum, a supportive student environment, student-faculty mentorship, excellent and diverse sites for clinical training, and opportunities for research. The Counseling Psychology Program has been nationally accredited by the American Psychological Association since 1987.
It will typically take 4 to 5 years to complete the degree if students are enrolled full-time (9 hours).
What will I learn?
Students develop professional leadership, ethical, interpersonal, and intrapersonal skills through:
- Candidacy research project
- Comprehensive exam
Upon successful completion of the program, Counseling Psychology graduates will:
- Understand and apply psychological interventions for diverse populations
- Successfully complete psychological evaluation and assessment
- Implement quantitative research designs and methods to answer research questions
- Recognize and analyze biological, cognitive/affective, developmental and social aspects of behavior
- Objectively review and analyze professional issues in Counseling Psychology
Since degree plans change periodically, students will follow the degree plan that is in place at the time in which they complete an official, approved degree plan. Students enter the program with either a Master’s or Undergraduate degree. Please see page 13 of the Counseling Psychology Ph.D. Program Handbook for the most current sample degree plans.
What can I do with my degree?
The program offers the preparation necessary for students to apply for licensure as counseling psychologists in Texas and other states. Our graduates are employed in settings such as:
- K-12 schools
- Colleges and Universities
- Counseling Centers
- Community Agencies
- Private Practice
Graduates of the Ph.D. in Counseling Psychology may pursue the following careers:
- College or University Professors
- Counseling Psychologists
To apply for this program, please see our How to Apply - Graduate page.