Education Doctorate (Ed. D.) in Curriculum and Instruction - Science Education
The Department of Curriculum and Instruction offers this degree program.
Is this Program for Me?
The Doctoral Program in Curriculum & Instruction (C & I) with an Emphasis in Science Education prepares outstanding, highly motivated leaders to move the nation toward a citizenry that is scientifically literate.
Doctoral candidates will add significantly to a line of research in Science Education through publication in nationally recognized refereed journals.
Students will be able to finish this degree in approximately five years if they are registered full-time (at least 9 hours per semester). If students attend school part-time, it will take longer to complete the program.
What will I learn?
This program emphasizes foundations of psychological and educational theory and research methodology. Students work closely with faculty and fellow classmates to explore and conduct educational research. They will also demonstrate:
- Scholarly research, writing and presentation skills
- An understanding of the nature of science
- An in-depth knowledge of science content
- Proficiency with many pedagogical skills
- An understanding of inquiry-based instruction
Students develop professional leadership, ethical, interpersonal, and intrapersonal skills through:
- Candidacy Research Project
- Comprehensive Exam
Since degree plans change periodically, students will follow the degree plan that is in place at the time in which they complete an official, approved degree plan. Following is the most current sample degree plan for the Ed. D. in Curriculum and Instruction – Science Education.
What can I do with my degree?
The Ed. D. in C & I - Science Education can lead to a wide variety of careers in settings such as:
- Higher Education
- Early Childhood – 12th grade Schools
- Early Childhood – 12th grade Administration
- Regional Service Centers
- State Departments of Education
Graduates with an Ed. D. in C & I – Science Education may pursue the following careers:
- College or University Professors
- Executive Directors of Educational Service Centers
- Educational Research Analysts
- Program evaluators
- Early Childhood -12th grade Science Curriculum Specialists
To apply for this program, please see the Graduate Application Checklist.