The Department of Curriculum and Instruction offers this degree program.
Is this Program for Me?
The Doctoral Program in Curriculum & Instruction (C & I) with an Emphasis in Social Studies/Social Education is designed to prepare graduates to understand and investigate educational problems in the social and behavioral sciences. Selection of course work and learning experiences should be relevant to professional and academic goals. Interdisciplinary themes are also encouraged as a basis for those goals. The program focuses on the teaching of:
- Social issues
- Social sciences
- Curriculum construction
- Controversial issues
- Conduct of inquiry
- Political socialization
Students will be able to finish this degree in approximately five years if they are registered full-time (at least 9 hours per semester). If students attend school part-time, it will take longer to complete the program.
What will I learn?
This program emphasizes foundations of psychological and educational theory and research methodology. Students work closely with faculty and fellow classmates to explore and conduct educational research.The Social Studies/Social Education faculty at the University of Houston is involved in a variety of teaching, research, and service projects including:
- Social Justice and Social Education
- Citizenship/Democracy Education
- Issues, Inquiry, and Problem Based Social Education
- International Education
- Cultural Studies
- Integrating Technology in Social Education
- Field-based Social Studies Teacher Education (QUEST Teacher Preparation Program)
- Elementary and Secondary Social Education
Students will be able to demonstrate:
- Scholarly research, writing and presentation skills
- The ability to make informed decisions for the public good as citizens of a culturally diverse, democratic society in an interdependent world
Students develop professional leadership, ethical, interpersonal, and intrapersonal skills through:
- Candidacy Research Project
- Comprehensive Exam
Since degree plans change periodically, students will follow the degree plan that is in place at the time in which they complete an official, approved degree plan. Following is the most current sample degree plan for the Ed. D. in Curriculum and Instruction – Social Studies/Social Education.
What can I do with my degree?
Graduates with an Ed. D. in C & I - Social Studies/Social Education pursue positions in settings such as:
- Higher Education
- Early Childhood – 12th grade Schools
- Early Childhood – 12th grade Administration
- Regional Service Centers
- State Departments of Education
- Non-profit Organizations
The Ed. D. in C & I – Social Studies/Social Education can lead to a wide variety of careers such as:
- College or University Professor
- Executive Director of Educational Service Center
- Educational Research Analyst
- Program Evaluator
- Early Childhood -12th grade Curriculum Specialist
To apply for this program, please see the Graduate Application Checklist.