The Department of Curriculum and Instruction offers this degree program.
Is this program for me?
The Master’s program in Curriculum & Instruction - Teaching is designed for students concerned with the design, development, implementation, and operation of instructional programs and is focused on developing their skills as an instructional specialist.
The coursework may include:
- Models of teaching
- Affective instruction
- Adult learning
- Classroom management
- Curriculum theory
- Curriculum and instructional evaluation
- Teacher as researcher course
The program includes 3 - 6 hours of supervised classroom internship and may involve a research and/or teaching assistantship.
It will typically take 2 to 3 years to complete the degree if students are enrolled full-time (9 hours per semester).
What will I learn?
The Master’s Program in Curriculum & Instruction - Teaching is designed to meet the needs of teachers who seek to improve the following:
- Design, implementation, and operation of instructional programs
- Overall instructional effectiveness of classroom teaching
The program emphasizes the following educational foundations:
- Social historical, philosophical theory
- Human growth and learning
It develops professional, interpersonal, and intrapersonal skills through:
- Teacher Education Program Area Coursework
- Specialized Electives
- Supervised Classroom Internship;
- Comprehensive Exam or Master’s Thesis
Since degree plans change periodically, students will follow the degree plan that is in place at the time in which they complete an official, approved degree plan. Following is the most current sample degree plan for the M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction - Teaching.
What can I do with my degree?
This program provides the coursework and training necessary to obtain a wide range of Texas Standard Teaching Certifications.
Graduates with a M.Ed. in Teaching may pursue the following careers:
- Community College Instructors
- Curriculum Specialists
- Early Childhood-6th grade General Classroom Teacher
- Fourth-12th grade Language Arts, Math, Science, Social Studies Classroom Teacher
To apply for this program, please see the Graduate Application Checklist.