College of Education Financial Aid and Scholarships
College of Education Scholarships
The College of Education offers a robust selection of scholarships to support the educational pursuits of our students.For information on Graduate Fellowships, students admitted to a graduate program may contact their Departments.
For information on student loans, grants, and scholarships offered by the University of Houston, please visit the University of Houston Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid.
Scholarship Application Process:
The College of Education Scholarship Application Process is open January 7th, 2013 through midnight February 3rd. All application information is submitted online.
Carefully review the list of scholarships below to narrow your choices to just those awards for which you are eligible. Successful applicants specifically target those scholarships for which they have the best qualifications; no students will be eligible for all scholarships.
Prepare the following materials that are common to all scholarships. All scholarships require you to upload this set of materials once to be used in review for all awards for which you are applying.
- A written narrative organized according to these headers:
- Professional and educational activities relevant to scholarship requirements;
- Community or extra-curricular activities relevant to scholarship requirements;
- Leadership experience, honors, and awards relevant to scholarship requirements;
- Two letters of recommendation written by faculty members or other educators
familiar with your educational history (letters can be written in general
for all scholarships but should address scholarship criteria you feel
should be emphasized):
- For each letter of recommendation, you will need to sign and give each faculty member a Reference Request & FERPA Release form (Form No. OGC-SF-2005-05): http://www.uh.edu/legal-affairs/contract-administration/pdf-documents/Reference_Request_FERPA_Release_2005_05.pdf. Note: Do not submit this document online. This is a different from the FERPA Authorization to Release Education Records form that is available on the Scholarship tab on the online application which must be submitted online once (Form No. OGC-SF-2006-02).
- A professional resume
- An unofficial transcript
- Tax documents (if applying for need-based scholarships only). Please submit the first page of the Form 1040 (Individual Income Tax Return - see example).
- FERPA statement (Form No. OGC-SF-2006-02). This form is available on the online application.
In addition to these general requirements, each scholarship for which you are applying will require a brief Statement of Eligibility describing why you are particularly qualified to meet the requirements of that specific scholarship.
Note: Please review the checklist on the College of Education Online Application for each scholarship. Additional documents may be required for particular scholarships.
Complete the College of Education Scholarship Application and upload the required documents.
After you have completed the application you will have until midnight of the final due date to complete document submission. All required documents must be submitted in order for your application to be considered complete.
College of Education Scholarships
Scholarships are organized by those designated for all students, or for those in the Curriculum and Instruction or Educational Psychology Departments, or for those at the graduate or undergraduate levels.
Undergraduate and Graduate (Department of Curriculum and Instruction and Department of Educational Psychology):
- College of Education Alumni Association Scholarship Endowment
- Judy McCollough Butler Endowment Scholarship
- Mylie E. & Charles A. Durham Scholarship
- The Faith Gladstone Marshall Endowment Scholarship
- The Don and Jacqueline Hawkins Endowed Scholarship
- Dr. Allen R. Warner Endowed Scholarship
- Joshua Weinstein Memorial Endowment
- John D. and Susan K. Thompson Family Scholarship Endowment
- Weltzien Endowed Scholarship
- Helen and Melvin Wimpelberg Memorial Scholarship Endowment
- Mabel Jewell Harper Endowment Scholarship Fund in the College of Education
- Eugene Chiappetta/Texas Chemical Council
- Pauline Moss Crouch Endowment Scholarship
- Marcile Hollingsworth Scholarship-Science
- Robert and Elizabeth Houston Scholarship
- John Croft Endowment Scholarship-Educational Leadership
- Dr. Richard L. Hooker Scholarship-Educational Leadership
- Richard D. Strahan Educational Law Endowment Scholarship-Educational Leadership
- College of Education Alumni Association Doctoral Student Operating Scholarship (Ed.D & Ph.D)