How to Apply - Graduate Students
Graduate Application Checklist
You must comply with both University and departmental requirements before your application can be considered complete. If one or both of these set of requirements are not fulfilled, your application may not be reviewed. The university requirements may be completed electronically and are listed below (see items 1-4). The departmental requirements must be submitted in a single surface mail package.
Admission for graduate study is competitive. Meeting the minimal admission guidelines does not ensure acceptance for graduate study.
For application deadlines and mailing addresses, please see the Program and Deadline Guide. Please find the process outlined below:
University of Houston Graduate Admissions Materials
- Apply Online
Please select only the school/major to which you intend to apply. If you select another school/major we may not receive your application materials. If your school/major is not listed, please contact the department to which you are applying. See Program and Deadline Guide.
- Official Graduate Record Exam (GRE) Scores
- Institutional code: 6870
- Scores must be no more than 5 years old as of the application deadline.
- For information about scheduling a test at the University of Houston, visit University Testing Services.
- Send scores to the University of Houston Main Campus, not Downtown.
- Application Fee
Payable online with a credit card at time of application submission, by check, or money order by mail.
- Domestic: $45.00. (You may pay online through Apply Texas or send check or money order to the appropriate College of Education department. See Program and Deadline Guide for department information).
- International: $75.00 (You may pay online through Apply Texas or send check or money order to the University of Houston. Please see International Admissions for the mailing address.)
- Fees are non-refundable.
- If submitting a check, please mail directly to the College of Education department (Domestic Students) or University of Houston (International Students) and include applicant name and birth date on check.
- TOEFL Scores (International Applicants Only)
- TOEFL requirements are based on your native country’s official language.
- Please find exempt categories under English Proficiency Requirement on the UH website
- Use International Student Code: 6870.
Department Graduate Admissions Materials
Send the materials below to the appropriate department as outlined in the Program and Deadline Guide.
**All application materials (unless otherwise stated) should be collected in one large envelope before being sent. Please include your name, date of birth, and email on all components submitted**
Electronic Materials All Applicants (International and Domestic):
- Three (3) letters of recommendation
- Choose writers who know you professionally (i.e. employers, volunteer supervisors or instructors).
- Submit the names and email addresses of your recommenders via the ApplyTexas Application. Recommenders will be contacted by email.
- Contact the department immediately if a change needs to be made to your recommenders’ name or email address, or if they did not receive an email regarding your letter of recommendation.
- Resume or Curriculum Vita
- Resume/CV should be submitted electronically at my.uh.edu.
- Goal Statement
- Include any relevant experience, education, research interests, and goals.
- Length should be 1-3 double spaced pages.
- Goal statement should be submitted electronically at my.uh.edu.
Paper Materials, All Applicants (International and Domestic):
- Two (2) sealed official copies of transcripts from ALL universities attended.
- Application Cover Sheet
- Writing sample (Doctoral Applicants Only)
- Independently completed for a professional or scholarly audience.
- On a cover sheet, explain the purpose of the document and when, where and for whom it was completed.
Other, Doctoral Applicants (International and Domestic):
- Applicants may be contacted by the department to schedule interviews after materials have been reviewed.
- Face to face interviews are strongly preferred. However, in some cases other arrangements can be made should applicants be unable to travel to interview.
International Applicants ONLY:
In addition to departmental materials, you must also submit additional documents to the Office of International Admissions.
Please review the requirements listed on the University of Houston International Admissions website.